Vehicle and trailer safety chains are important to connect trailer and tow vehicles. If there is a sudden disconnection, the vehicle and trailer safety chain are the first line of defense. If the ball or coupler fails, the vehicle safety chain hook will guide the trailer to ease the way to a stopping point. It will ensure that the tow vehicle and trailer remain connected and can stop safely.
Importance of Vehicle Safety Chain
Vehicle safety chains are one of the essential parts of the trailer.
1. The safety chain helps attach the trailer to the tow vehicle’s hitch. The chain should be so strong that it can hold the trailer and the tow vehicle’s weight.
2. Every chain should have a separate attachment point to the toe vehicle.
3. For safety, every safety chain hook should be of the correct length.
4. Crisscross the safety chain beneath the hitch and the coupler.
5. Do not twist the chain, as it will fail to work effectively and get damaged.
6. On long trips, never proceed before checking the chain. Immediately replace the chain if there is any wear and tear. Never drag the safety chains while driving.
While connecting the trailer, ensure the safety chains are always longer than the emergency brake box. The brake box will not get activated if its chain is longer than the safety chain.
Purpose of Vehicle and Trailer Safety Chain Hook Kit
There are several purposes for what they designed them, but some are irreplaceable. If you fail to fulfill it, the results can be a huge disaster. Let us check each of them and let us know for which purpose you use them.
1. The main purpose of vehicle and trailer safety chain hook kits is to provide a safe and worry-free towing experience.
2. The safety chain will help keep the trailer connected to the tow vehicle if the hitch becomes loose. Imagine a situation where it is absent, and the hitch gets loose. Tough to visualize!
3. If the brake fails on uneven ground or hills, the safety chain will help keep the trailer away from the tow vehicle.
4. The Vehicle and trailer safety chain helps maintain a good connection with tow vehicles and trailers. It is highly needed to avoid mishaps.
Rigging the safety chain is easy or difficult! Ever thought of it?
Rigging the safety chain can be easy with some simple steps. It is advisable that you do not miss any of them for a smooth experience:
1. The safety chains will be fastened and connected to the tow vehicle.
2. Check the safety chains before moving the tow vehicle and trailer.
3. When you take the trailer for a ride, check the vehicle and trailer safety chains hourly.
4. Any wear or tear of the safety chain is replaced immediately.
5. The trailer safety chain is supposed to be crisscrossed underneath the hitch and coupler. There should be enough breathing space for turning the chains.
You would have read twice or thrice by now that in case of wear and tear, replace it immediately; the only reason behind the same is to avoid any accidents. I am sure you, too, don’t want any!
The vehicle and trailer safety chain hook kit is attached to the hitch. The installation process is not as difficult as you think. Let’s take a trail of it:
1. The safety chain is first crossed underneath the hitch and the coupler. Enough space should be there between so the tongue can hold up if the trailer loosens.
2. The chain is connected and fastened to the tow vehicle.
3. Check the chain before moving the tow vehicle. While towing, check the safety chains regularly.
4. If the kit has safety chain retainers, it avoids dragging the chain on the ground. It prevents wear and tear of the chain.
Maintenance of the vehicle and trailer safety chain hook kit
Maintain the vehicle and trailer safety chain hook kit in various ways, as follows:
Clean the trailer safety chains regularly to remove the dirt. Lubricate the moving parts of the chains for smooth operation of the safety chains. Lubrication also prevents the safety chain from rusting.
2. Wear and tear-:
Check all the components of the trailer safety chain regularly. In the presence of any wear and tear, we advise you to replace it immediately.
3. Safe place-:
To prevent the trailer safety chain hook kit from deteriorating, keep it clean, dry, and safe when not in use.
Legal requirements for vehicle and trailer safety chain hook kit
1. A secondary coupling is needed for the unbraked trailer whose weight is upto 750 kilograms.
2. It is necessary for the vehicle safety chain to be made up of steel if the weight is over 3.5 tonnes.
3. Yellow hooks are legal to be used in trailer safety chains. These hooks are quicker to connect than shackles.
4. If the trailer’s coupler gets disconnected from the towing vehicle, then two strong safety chains are required to support it. To support the trailer’s coupler, crisscross the safety chain.
5. According to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), the safety chains should be classified correctly.
5. Follow the state’s law Before installing a safety chain hook and towing.
To sum up
Using a safety chain hook is important as it ensures that the trailer and the tow vehicles remain connected. It remains connected till the time the tow vehicle stops safely. On long trips, never miss to double-check the safety chain and replace it immediately if there is any wear and tear. While driving, never think about dragging the safety chains. Also, ensure the emergency brake box chain is shorter than the trailer safety chain. The brake box will not get activated if the safety chains are more concise than the chain of the emergency brake box. Lastly, the vehicle and trailer safety chain hook kit is a CTA-approved solution. They are designed mainly for caravan admirers, retirees, and frequent travelers. These safety chain hook kits ensure a safe towing experience. We want you to have a smooth experience throughout!